Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Solo Sail from La Paz to Banderas Bay Jan 4-8



Friday  Jan 4, 2013  “Its bad luck to depart on a Friday”

There are many sailing superstitions and one is “Its bad luck to depart on a Friday.”  However, I was long overdue to move on from La Paz, so after completing my vast pre-departure list I set sail from La Paz to Ballandra Bay just about 2 hours before sunset.  I justified my Friday departure by thinking “I’ve delayed departing too long already” and “I’m just moving to another anchorage” and “actually departing the area the next day, Saturday.”
La Paz is such a wonderful town and has been my base for the month of December.  Marina de La Paz has also been good to me as a hub of security, information and cruising friends. However the days are getting colder and more windy, and my time to explore before beginning the return home is down to less than one month.  So I have decided to head to the warmer cruising grounds of Banderas Bay and Puerto Vallarta where it’s warmer and hopefully I will finally be able to do some surfing.  The down side is that its another 250 miles downwind of Cabo San Lucas which is that much longer to return to San Diego.
Mariah and I are motoring into 15 knot headwinds as we depart La Paz. The weather forecast is for 15-20 knot northerlies for the next few days which makes for a rough ride due to the steep chop in the Sea of Cortez.  I figure we’ll head to Ballandra Bay and see how the winds are. When I say “we”, I mean Mariah and I which means this will be my first solo crossing of this length (over 300 miles from La Paz to Puerto Vallarta in 3-4 days).  Needless to say, I am honestly quite nervous about this new adventure.  I’ve felt so comfortable in La Paz and the local islands that I am also home sick for these areas, and nostalgic for the good times had with friends and family.  As I pull into Ballandra Bay in the pitch dark, I find it appropriate that the bay is empty, just as when I arrived on my first visit on the way to La Paz.  I drop anchor close to “mushroom rock” for the last time.  It was a cold, windy and bumpy night so I was unable to sleep outside in the cockpit as I had done with my daughter Maya the week before.  I had a poor night sleep between nerves and the bumpy night but I appreciated having the bay to myself and giving “thanks” for the many memories of good times in my favorite scenic bay.

La Paz Whale Statue


Heading South, Saturday Jan 5, 2012

Mariah and I departed Ballandra Bay at 8 am with light winds but I put 2 reefs in the mainsail in anticipation for higher winds.  We passed through the San Lorenzo Channel named for one of the many ships claimed by the reefs before the channel was charted and marked.  Sailing south in 15 to 20 knots in choppy seas we passed inside of Cerralvo Island which is about 7 miles from La Ventana on Baja’s Southeast cape known for high winds and windsurfing/kite boarding.  In fact, I was surprised to be passed by about 10 kite boarders split into 2 groups which appeared to be crossing this windy, choppy, and somewhat desolate channel.  They seemed more comfortable in these conditions than I but at least they were not alone.
I found that my anxiety and loneliness on departure was giving way to an appreciation of the beauty of this desert landscape.  Unfortunately, it was too rough to fish so I spent  the day saying goodbye to Baja as we left the peninsula behind.  I was also somewhat seasick so was unable to read but watched some DVDs into the night.  I was sure to check for traffic every 15-20 minutes but was able to nap as we left land later that night.  I noticed only one other boat at night once I was out at sea that night.

"Out in the Big Blue",  Sunday, Jan 6, 2013

Sailed about 120 miles in the last 24 hours which is good for little Mariah.  We are well out of sight of land so it is just water, wind, and chop as far as the eye can see.  I’m getting into a rhythm of snacking on bland foods, reading, watching DVDs, checking the conditions and course, listening to music and taking in the natural beauty. We have only traveled about 1/3 of the passage but it already seems to be warming up.
We are averaging 5 knots with the swell pushing us up to 7 knots.  We are still sailing downwind in 15-20 knots of wind with only the main down to its second reef.     It’s still rolly conditions but I think its improving. The wind is suppose to moderate tomorrow but it usually takes the chop another 24 hours to settle…so they say. 
This forced quiet time takes some getting used to but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. I do miss all those important to me but “absence make the heart grow fonder.”  I have no way to communicate while at sea but left a “sail plan” with Vinnie and will contact her as soon as I reach my destination.

Ken gets appetite back for tuna fish sandwich


“Where has all the wind gone?”  Monday,  Jan 7, 2013

It seems that there is either too much or too little wind. We have sailed dead downwind the last 2 days in 20 knots of wind and 3-6 foot seas with close period (bumpy ride). However about 3 am this morning the wind began to decrease and our 4-5 knot pace was decreased to 3 knots and less. So, about sunrise I dropped sail and began motoring at 4.5 knots. I considered the spinnaker but the wind was too light.  I ended up motoring all day and night.  One advantage of motoring was the endless electricity and hot water for washing generated by the engine.  I was able to turn up the fridge, charge the computer and watch DVDs without worry of running down the batteries.  The downside of running the engine was the noise and diesel fumes which didn’t help settle my stomach.
While trolling for fish, we motored through a school of dolphins which jumped at the bow long enough for me to capture them on video.  I never grow tired of these guests.  Soon after the dolphins left, both my fishing reels started being stripped of line at a fast rate until both lines broke off at the poles.  I should have stopped the boat right away to decrease the pull on the line but was kinda freaked by all the action.  I felt sick that maybe I hooked 2 of the friendly dolphins.  However, soon after a fish jumped in the distance, so hopefully it was a big marlin and not a dolphin I hooked.  There seemed to be a lot of activity in that specific area including dolphins, birds, and jumping fish.
At dusk we approached Islas Las Marias which the guide book described as “the forbidden prison colony islands.”  I passed them in the dark about 15 miles to the south instead of the required 20 miles due to my route.  The first of the 3 islands had a flashing light on top of the mountain and one at each end. There were also several lights at each end of the island identifying human activity.  With fears of prisoners escaping by raft and commandeering Mariah I considered turning off my running and steaming lights but figured the odd of being run over by another passing boat was much greater. These islands are about 60 miles off the mainland and made me think of Alcatraz and the island prison colonies described in the book “Papion.” The evening was pitch dark due to the cloud cover obscuring the stars and I could barely see the horizon.   I was spooked yet curious about the conditions on these “forbidden prison colony islands.”   

“LAND HO!!!”  Tuesday,  Jan 8, 2013

Safely at anchor at Punta Mita - (Thats not Mariah in photo)


The wind picked up again this morning so we were able to set sail and enjoy the quiet again.  I began with full sails wing and wing but soon reduced to 2 reefs in both sails as the wind increased.  There was cloud cover in the am which led way to mixed sun.
We pulled into Banderos Bay about 2pm and stayed close to the small islands of Las Tres Marietas to avoid a mid channel reef.  This path added a few miles but I soon found myself amongst several breaching whales which was both cool and scary at the same time.  I found that playing music added to the show and reduced my fears of colliding with a whale.
Mariah and I  anchored at the Punta Mita anchorage at the NW corner of Banderas Bay.  Banderas Bay is a large Bay measuring 15 by 20 miles in size with Puerto Vallarta positioned deepest in the bay to the east.  Mariah’s passage to Banderas Bay from La Paz was about 350 miles which we completed in 3 ½ days, thus averaging approximately 100 miles a day.  This was by far my longest solo passage which was equivalent to traveling ½ the baja peninsula.  I was well fed and well rested on arrival.  I do admit to watching many DVDs along the way as a crutch to help pass the time.
While pulling into the anchorage I noticed “Autumn Wind” at anchor who I know from the Baja Haha as well as the Delta DooDah.  So after anchoring and eating some dinner I kayaked over to Autumn Wind and visited with Brian and Elizabeth. They have been in the area for the last few weeks and shared their knowledge and experiences.  It was great to arrive in a new location and immediately visit with old friends.  It turns out that Punta Mita is a great anchorage with excellent anchor holding, wind protection, and local surf spots.  So I plan to spend the next 2-3 weeks exploring Banderas Bay and deciding my next move.

So Cheers from SV Mariah and Ken,
And best wishes to allJ

No comments:

Post a Comment